Show Search Results Show Browse

Scottish National Dictionary (1700–)

Hide Quotations Hide Etymology

Abbreviations & symbols Cite this entry

About this entry:
First published 1956 (SND Vol. IV). Includes material from the 1976 and 2005 supplements.

FLEED, n. Also flood. The land at the end of the furrows in a ridge on which the plough turns, the end-rig (Abd. 1808 Jam.; ne.Sc. 1951). Also of burnt land in a moss.Abd. 1723 Fintray Court Book S.C. (Misc.) :
There is upon Alexr. Melvils tack the Nook of a flood partly soft partly hard burnt very deep.
Abd. 1903 Banffshire Jnl. (29 Sept.):
Each brought his horse and cart to the field, where the ploughs lay on the fleed or end-rig.
Bnff. 1917 E. S. Rae Private John Macpherson 54:
An' Geordie, ma foreman, a dacenter lad Ne'er wore nickietoms, nor plooed up a fleed.
Abd. 1950 Buchan Observer (11 April):
We have often seen the clovers strike best in the “fleed,” or endrig of a field.

[Of doubtful orig. Phs. the same word as fleed, s.v. Flude, that part of the field, in the old system of ploughing with crooked rigs and gaw-furrows, being no doubt flooded in wet weather, or more prob. a metaphorical use taken from the tide-mark, to and from which the waves advance and recede. Cf. flood(-mark).]

You may wish to vary the format shown below depending on the citation style used.

"Fleed n.". Dictionary of the Scots Language. 2004. Scottish Language Dictionaries Ltd. Accessed 8 Aug 2022 <>



Hide Advanced Search

Browse SND: