Scottish National Dictionary (1700–)

Hide Quotations Hide Etymology Cite this entry

FLITTER, n. Also fluther. A rag, shred, splinter (Rxb. 1825 Jam.; Uls. 1940); “the loose flakes or lamina of a stone” (Sc. 1825 Jam., fluthers). Gen. in pl. Adj. flitterie, ragged, tattered. Slk. 1824 Hogg Confessions of a Fanatic (1874) 532:
Part of a skeleton cam up, but no flesh, save a little that was hanging in dark flitters about the spine.
Ork. c.1893 W. R. Mackintosh Peat-fires 242:
A “flitterie coat” is a garment which has seen better days, for such experiences have coats in common with their wearers.

You may wish to vary the format shown below depending on the citation style used.

"Flitter n.". Dictionary of the Scots Language. 2004. Scottish Language Dictionaries Ltd. Accessed 22 Jan 2022 <>



Try an Advanced Search

Browse SND: