Welcome to DSL, which brings together the two major historical dictionaries of the Scots language:
- A Dictionary of the Older Scottish Tongue (DOST)
Older Scots - 12th century - 1700
- The Scottish National Dictionary (SND)
Modern Scots - 1700 - 2005
Their 22 volumes provide a comprehensive history of Scots, making DSL an essential research tool for anyone interested in the history and development of the language.
Word of the Day
Bawbee n., adj. a halfpenny
June 2015 updates
We have added the following enhancements - see Advanced Search help text for more detail.
- Boolean search – use ‘AND’, ‘OR’, or ‘NOT’ or a combination of these, to search for more than one specific word or phrase, or exclude them from your search
- Layout of ‘full text’ search results improved
- Predictive search in Advanced headword searches
- Wildcard characters in ‘full text’ searches as well as headword searches